A webmaster is a person who handles the maintenance of a website making sure that the web servers, hardware and software function systematically.
Companies that hire a webmaster usually have different roles for them that depend on their requirements or financial state. In a smaller company, typical webmaster is responsible for many functions simultaneously. In a larger company, a webmaster is hired on account of their sound technical knowledge and programming skills and who has specialized in a certain area of expertise. There may be a team of webmasters who take over the overall corporate web design and policies and work with people who provide the company with its network infrastructure and supervise the design of the company’s website. There may be additional web developers whose duties are to organize and develop the web content. All these various departments of webmasters inter-relate the creation of a website, content and organization, for the corporation’s intranet.
Some of the most basic roles of a webmaster in general are as follows:
– HTML Authoring: They need an understanding of HTML 2.0, 3.2, 4, Dynamic HTML including other extensions like tables, frames, server-push/client-pull, server-side includes etc.
– CGI Scripting: Includes having knowledge of Perl, C and UNIX shell scripts.
– Basic Graphic Designing: Must possess the ability to develop attractive web pages that live up to the given standards.
– Internet Awareness: Must be well acquainted with issues concerning the Internet and the World Wide Web.
– General UNIX and PC (MS-Windows) awareness
– Basic knowledge of TCP/IP and Networking
– Graphic Designing skills: An apprehension of graphics applications and techniques like Photoshop, Fractal Painter, 3D modeling and so on.
– Customer Awareness: Must have the capacity to manage a professional relationship with the customers and work within their requirements.
– WWW Server Configuration: Must show proficiency in NCSA, CERN, Apache, and Netscape Commercial Server – including NSAPI.
professionals as well.
Article Source: http://www.ArticleBlast.com
About The Author:
Webmaster forum is the great information platform for webmasters. This serves as an SEO forum too that offers a wide range of innovative SEO ideas to savvy SEO professionals as well.