Do you need to clean out your medicine cabinet? Clarian Health and other entities have partnered to provide “Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet” ending Saturday, Oct. 9. Hours are Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is no cost for individuals; offices, clinics, or organizations must pay a fee.
The event provides Indiana residents with a safe and environmentally-friendly way to get rid of expired and leftover prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines.
Individuals will be able to safely dispose of medications that meet the following criteria:
• Pills, capsules and liquids (no alcohol containing liquids, inhalers, or aerosols)
• Medicine must be in original container with original label intact. Sharps are acceptable as long as they are presented in a hard plastic re-sealable container.
• Medicines that have the words “toxic,” “corrosive,” “reactive” or “ignitable” on them will not be accepted
• Only one type of medication can be in a single container – no mixtures
• No pill organizers will be accepted.
• No controlled or illegal substances (check with your regular Pharmacist if you’re not sure whether a medicine is controlled)
• A magic marker may be used to write through the patient’s name, but not the drug name, strength, etc.
Expired and unwanted medications can be dropped off at any of Indiana’s 41 Marsh Pharmacies. For the Marsh Pharmacy location nearest you, visit www.marsh.net.
All products and containers presented will be examined and qualified by a Marsh pharmacist. The decision by the Marsh pharmacist to accept or reject any product or container is final.
As an additional recycling measure that also ensures privacy protection and ONLY at the Marsh Pharmacy at 146th Street and Greyhound Pass, Carmel/Westfield, a shredder will be used by Pharmacy personnel throughout the month of October to shred plastic prescription vials and other medication bottles that no longer have contain medicine. During the month of October, the Marsh Pharmacy Staff will also be shredding those stock bottles emptied when preparing prescriptions for dispensing. Call the Marsh Pharmacy Staff at (317) 571-4358 for details.
For more information about “Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet,” call Barbara Cole at (317) 962-9248. To contact the Indiana Poison Center call (800) 222-1222 or visit www.clarian.org/poisoncontrol.