2010 entry guidelines.
In keeping with the mission of Second Helpings we ask that your recipe be economical and easy to prepare.
1 Make a delicious and simple chili dish.
2. One entry per Indianapolis public safety department PIO and each media outlet.
3. Criteria for judges are: Taste, Ease of Preparation (simplicity) and Presentation (appearance and inventive use of few ingredients). Recipes can have no more than 12 ingredients, including not more than 8 from the list of items Second Helpings typically has on hand (see below) and 4 others of your choosing. Salt, pepper, cooking oil and water are ‘freebies’ and do NOT count against your total ingredients. All ingredients must be purchased at a Kroger store.
4. Submit your typed recipe with your prepared entry for judging. On an 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper, clearly type the recipe title, your name, address, phone number and public safety/media affiliation.
5. All recipes become available to Second Helpings, which has the right to publish or advertise the recipes and contestants without compensation.
6. First place winners from 2009 Chili on the Circle contest or employees of Second Helpings are not eligible to compete in the 2010 competition.
In keeping with the day-to-day activities of Second Helpings, these are the ingredients they typically have on hand:
Tomatoes – whole, diced, crushed, juice
Protein – hamburger, ground turkey, chicken, pork, sausage
Pasta – spaghetti, elbow macaroni
Onions – white, red, green
Peppers – green, red, jalapeño
Dairy – milk and cheeses
Beans – pinto, navy, kidney, black
Garlic – clove, minced, powder
Spices – oregano, cumin, thyme, chili powder
Vinegar – cider, white, wine
You may use up to 8 of the above ingredients and 4 of your own.