On Saturday, July 18th at 10:30am-12noon Faith Leaders will convene “A Leadership Forum and
Conversation” at the Indiana Statehouse to address hunger and poverty in our community. The Leadership will
include Congresswoman Susan W. Brooks, State Senator Lonnie M. Randolph, Rev. David Beckmann, President of
Bread for the World and Mayoral Candidates Chuck Brewer and Joe Hogsett. Respondents will include Rev. David
Greene of Purpose of Life Church and President of the Concerned Clergy, Rev. Dr. Fitzhugh Lyons from the
Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance, Rev. Darry Webster of Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church/Men’s Boot
Camp, Elder Anne Henning Byfield of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Rev. Michael Drane of the House of
Joy Church, and Rev. Bruce Farr of the Community Resurrection Partnership Program/Overcoming Church. The
faith leaders provide ministry and mission in some of the most impoverished and food insecure neighborhoods in
Greater Indianapolis. The Forum will address the following 2013 facts relative to hunger and poverty in Indiana.
- In 2013, 14.1 percent of Indiana households were at risk of hunger.
- More than 76 percent of Indiana households in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP,
formerly food stamps) are working households.
- The average SNAP recipient transitions off the program within nine months.
- More than 1,015,100 people in Indiana live in poverty, including more than one in five children.
- Although the official unemployment rate for Indiana is 6.1 percent, if you include the underemployed and
those who have become discouraged and given up on finding work, the rate is 11.5 percent.*
Sponsoring groups include:
- African Methodist Episcopal Church – Northern District
- Baptist Ministers Alliance
- Church of the Living God’
- Community Resurrection Partnership
- Eastern Star Church
- Emmanuel Baptist Church
- Faith Hope and Love
- House of Joy
- Indiana Black Legislative Caucus
- Indianapolis Recorder
- Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance
- Purpose of Life Ministries
- The Church Federation of Greater Indianapolis
- The Concerned Clergy of Greater Indianapolis