A Beech Grove police officer was fatally shot and another was wounded on Feb. 16 while responding to a domestic disturbance call, authorities said.
Officers were dispatched to an apartment on Diplomat Court just after 6 p.m. When they encountered the individuals involved in the disturbance at the doorway, a man inside the residence fired shots at the officers, according to a press release from Indiana State Police.
33-year-old officer Brian Elliott was struck and later died at hospital despite life-saving efforts. The second officer, who was not identified, is in stable condition. A department spokesperson confirmed Elliott’s death, stating that he had been on the force with Beech Grove for approximately two years.
President of the Indianapolis City-County Council Maggie Lewis provided a statement regarding the incident.
“I am heartbroken to learn that one of the Beech Grove police officers injured in this tragic shooting has died. This devastating loss is felt far beyond the department — it is felt by our entire community,” Lewis said. “My deepest condolences are with the officer’s family, loved ones, colleagues and all who are grieving during this incredibly painful time.”
The suspect, identified as 47-year-old Kenneth T. Johnson, fled the area on foot, prompting a multi-hour search involving several law enforcement agencies, including Indiana State Police (ISP) and IMPD. He was taken into custody just after 10 p.m. by the IMPD SWAT team at a different apartment building in the same vicinity.
Johnson was taken into custody without further incident. Formal charges are pending as the investigation, led by Indiana State Police, continues.
Indiana State Sen. Aaron Freeman (R-Indianapolis) issued a statement Tuesday mourning the loss.
“On Monday night, Beech Grove lost a hometown hero dedicated to public service in the line of duty,” Freeman said. “This tragedy is a sobering reminder of the dangers our law enforcement officers face on a daily basis.”
For more news, visit indianapolisrecorder.com.





