71.7 F
Indianapolis
Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Video game expo E3 gets permanently canceled

More by this author

LOS ANGELES (AP) — One of the highest-profile video game conventions, E3, is being shut down permanently, its organizers said Tuesday.


The Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, had been held annually in Los Angeles since 1995 and was a popular spot for game companies to tease their latest creations before they hit store shelves.

Related: Controversy arises as ‘I Am Jesus Christ’ tackles religion in gaming


The event hosted by a trade group, the Entertainment Software Association, had already been on hiatus since the COVID-19 pandemic forced its cancellation in June 2020. But E3 was facing trouble before the pandemic, with a host of companies either skipping the fair or staging their own events nearby.


It held a virtual-only event in 2021 and planned a comeback this year that was canceled after reports that industry giants Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo would not attend.

Related: The Dangers of Gaming While Black


“After more than two decades of serving as a central showcase for the U.S. and global video game industry, ESA has decided to end E3,” the ESA said Tuesday in an emailed statement. The group said its focus going forward will be to support member companies and the industry’s workforce.


via Associated Press. Multimedia staff writer Noral Parham III contributed to this report. For more news courtesy of the Indianapolis Recorder, click here. You can also visit the Indiana Minority Business Magazine by clicking here.

- Advertisement -
ads:

Upcoming Online Townhalls

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest local news.

Stay connected

1FansLike
1FollowersFollow
1FollowersFollow
1SubscribersSubscribe

Related articles

Popular articles

Español + Translate »
Skip to content