John Thompson was recently elected Chairman of the Indiana Black Expo, Inc. Board of Directors.
Thompson is president and chief executive officer of Thompson Distribution Company, Inc., a distributor of mechanical supplies in Indianapolis. He also serves as president and CEO of First Electric Supply Company, Inc. and is chairman and CEO of CMID, an architectural engineering design firm.
Previously, Thompson served as vice president of Mays Chemical Company, Inc. and as a senior associate at McKinsey & Company. Thompson currently serves on the boards of the National Bank of Indianapolis, Herff Jones, Indiana Economic Development Corporation, the Studio Museum of Harlem in New York, the Nature Conservancy, Greater Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce, and Wishard Hospital Foundation. He also served as Chairman of the Indianapolis Museum of Art and Junior Achievement of Central Indiana in past years.
“John brings distinctive experience, solid business acumen and strong passion for the community. These are assets that will facilitate the continued growth of Indiana Black Expo and enhance the mission of the organization,” says Dr. Ray Henderson, current IBE Board Chairman.
“John has always had strong ties to the organization as a sponsor, donor and volunteer and I am delighted that the Board selected him as its Chair to lead IBE into the future,” says Tanya Bell, president and CEO of IBE.
“It is with excitement and a strong sense of commitment that I take on the leadership role of working with the board, management and staff of IBE to fulfill its vision – that African-American youth and families achieve their highest potential and reflect pride in their ethnicity,” says Thompson. “This organization has an unmatched history of excellence in its two signature fundraisers – Summer Celebration and Circle City Classic. I look forward to being a part of this team as we continue this legacy,”
Terra Samuel was also elected Vice Chair of the Board of Directors. Terra is currently the Director of Economic Development for the City of East Chicago. IBE’s 25 member board is comprised of corporate, education and community leaders from around the state of Indiana. Other members of IBE’s 2010 Board of Directors include:
• Bruce White, Chairman & CEO/White Lodging, Merrillville
• Charles Green, Director of Academic Support/Fort Wayne Community Schools, Fort Wayne
• Willie Stroman, Retired/Delphi Delco Electronics, Kokomo
• Robert L. Hayes, Sr., Product Line Purchasing Leader/Delphi Electronics & Safety, Kokomo
• Lisa Dandridge, Senior Financial Analyst,/Consultant/ Midwest ISO, Indianapolis
• Carlton E. Mable, Principal/Wayne High School, Fort Wayne
• Joe Anderson, Retired/Inland Steel, East Chicago
• Rinzer Williams, III, Self-Employed/Director of Public Works, Gary
• William D. Garrett, Associate Pastor, Nazarene Baptist Church, Evansville
• Arvis Dawson, Executive Assistant to Mayor/City of Elkhart, Elkhart
• John Davis, ADR Mediator/Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Indianapolis
• Marilyn Goree, Retired/Delphi Local 662, Anderson
• Levi Hicks, Compliance Officer/City of East Chicago, East Chicago
• Traci Porter, Human Relations Department Head/City of Elkhart, Elkhart
• Paulette Kemp, Medicare Biller/Sisters of St. Francis Health Services, Inc., Gary
• LeRoy Lewis, III, Commercial & Industrial Field Manager/Marion County Assessor, Indianapolis
• Clarence Brown, Management/Arcelor Mittal, USA, Michigan City
• Demetrius “Dee” Harris, Unit Director/Roy C. Buley Community Center, Muncie
• Preston Chaney, Jr., Harrison Primary Center, Special Education/South Bend Community School Corporation, South Bend
• Karen Perry Lloyd, Vice President of Legal Affairs & General Counsel/Community Health Network, Indianapolis
• Charles “Chuck” Hughes, Executive Director, Chamber of Commerce, Gary
• Marc Outlaw, Principal/FWCS Alternative Ed YLS, Fort Wayne
• Terri Falker, Financial Analyst/Engaging Solutions, Indianapolis