The Indianapolis Art Center is overhauling its largest exhibition and fundraiser, the Broad Ripple Art Fair, to provide a more in-depth art experience for fairgoers, including more opportunities for them to make art.
The Art Fair, sponsored by Fifth Third Bank, will take place May 19-20 and kick off Indy’s summer festival season.
HEAD: New for 2012:
• Art activities – Based on the popularity of Spin-a-Pot where fairgoers make a wheel-thrown ceramic vase for $5, the Art Center is offering art-making activities in other studio classrooms, e.g., sculpture and printmaking. Participation is first-come, first-served and times, prices and activities vary.
• On-Site kids’ camp – Parents interested in making sure their children have a chance to make art may register their children for the Art Center’s Kids’ Camp for youth ages 6-7 and 8-12. Registration is available online with ticket purchase. Enrollment is limited to 12 children per class and available for Saturday only. There will be many free art-making activities for kids outdoors in various Kids’ World stations sponsored by Prizm, The Artist’s Supply Store.
• Emerging artist area – The Art Center is providing an Emerging Artists Area to give local up-and-coming artists a taste of what it’s like to participate in an art fair. This area of the Art Fair provides a wider variety of art and price points and is in contrast to artists who qualify for individual booths. The Art Center restricts the number of artist booths to 225 to ensure robust competition for a limited number of spots that are selected by a panel of five jurors. This strategy, along with changing jurors every year, is how the Art Fair stays fresh and continues to offer the best of the best. More than 800 artists apply to the Art Fair each year.
• Discounted tickets – The Art Center is encouraging advance ticket purchase by offering a limited quantity online each week starting March 25. The earlier you buy, the cheaper the ticket. Tickets are $5 each the week of March 25 and a dollar more each week until the Art Fair.
• Private breastfeeding space/changing station – The Art Center is dedicating one of its studio classrooms as a private breastfeeding and changing area for mothers.
HEAD: Popular features return
• Preview party – From 6 to 8 p.m. the evening before the Art Fair, May 18, the Art Center is hosting a Preview Party, sponsored by Indianapolis Power & Light. The event includes food and drink, a ticket to the Art Fair for the weekend, and first look at selected art and artist booths.
• Return wristbands – Visitors to the Art Fair on Saturday can get a wristband as they exit the Art Fair that allows them to return on Sunday for free.
• More convenient ticket purchasing – Advance tickets are available at a discount at the Art Center, at select Fifth Third Bank locations and online at www.IndplsArtCenter.org/BRAF. Advance tickets for adults are $12 ($3 off the gate price). The best discount is for Art Center members who pay $10 for advance tickets.
HEAD: Key dates for 2012
• Jan. 22. Deadline for artists to apply (305 have applied as of Jan. 5, but the bulk of the applications come in closer to deadline).
• Feb. 8. Open jurying at the Art Center (9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
• Feb. 15. The Art Center sends out invitations to selected artists.
• Feb. 15-May 15. Artists are confirmed.
• March 25. Adult tickets on sale online or at the Art Center box office for $5 each. Limited quantity available. Price increases by $1 each week until the Art Fair. The regular price of advance tickets is $12.
• May 18. Preview Party sponsored by Indianapolis Power & Light.
• May 19-20. Broad Ripple Art Fair sponsored by Fifth Third Bank.