Indianapolis – The 2013 Indy Jazz Fest is “All Around Town” September 12-21 with a 10-day lineup to begin its 15th year as a celebration of year-round dedication to strengthening the Indianapolis jazz and arts scene.
This year’s festival lineup features headliners Allen Toussaint, Ramsey Lewis, Eddie Palmieri, Diane Schuur, Ravi Coltrane, Jeff Coffin, Aaron Diehl and more in multiple Indianapolis venues. Each day of the festival, visitors are welcomed into a new space where the interaction with music and fellow community members brings together the diversity of jazz styles with the history and culture embedded in some of the city’s most renowned performance locations. A brief look at this year’s lineup:
- September 12 – Allen Toussaint, Schrott Center for the Arts at Butler University – 8 p.m., sponsored by Ameriprise Financial
- September 13 – Ramsey Lewis, Madame Walker Theatre – 8 p.m., sponsored by IU Health
- September 14 – Diane Schuur, The Cabaret at The Columbia Club – 7 p.m., sponsored by Foley & Abbott
- September 15 – FREE concert – Afro Latino Jazz with Direct Contact, Indianapolis Central Library’s Clowes Auditorium – 3:30-5 p.m., sponsored by Central Library and IndyGo
- September 15 – Guitarist Brian Nova with special guests Steve Allee and Stan Hillis – The Jazz Kitchen, 7 p.m.
- September 16 – Double Bill: Buselli-Wallarab Jazz Orchestra Birth of the Cool, and Zach Lapidus Trio, Indiana Landmarks Center, 7:30 p.m., sponsored by National Bank of Indianapolis
- September 17 – Eddie Palmieri, Indianapolis Museum of Art Terrace (show will be moved indoors to the Toby in the event of rain), 8 p.m.
- September 18 – FREE concert – Indy Jazz Fest Band celebrates Indiana Composers, Christel DeHaan Fine Art Center at the University of Indianapolis, 7 p.m.
- September 18 – Ravi Coltrane, The Jazz Kitchen, 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
- September 19 – Jeff Coffin, Apparatus 1401 N. Meridian, 7:30 p.m.
- September 20 – American Pianists Association Cole Porter Fellow in Jazz, Aaron Diehl CD Release Party, The Jazz Kitchen, 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., sponsored by REI Real Estate
- September 21 – Closing finale Block Party
New this year, Indy Jazz Fest and Brewers of Indiana Guild present Pub Creep (a slow pub crawl) September 16-19, featuring four local jazz bands over four nights at four of Indiana’s legendary breweries: Sun King Brewery, Broad Ripple Brew Pub, Flat12 Bierwerks and Brugge Brasserie. Admission is free, and the Indianapolis Jazz Foundation will be on location collecting donations that help support jazz education. All brewers will also donate $1 back to Indianapolis Jazz Foundation education programs for every pint sold. The full Pub Crawl schedule and lineup is available at indyjazzfest.net.
The festival concludes with the celebratory Block Party finale on Saturday, Sept. 21, featuring 12 bands on two stages, indoors and outdoors, at the Jazz Kitchen and Yats (54th Street and College Avenue). For tickets and the full festival lineup, visit indyjazzfest.net.