Several community and corporate leaders have come together to offer community-wide enrollment for Cancer Prevention Study-3, the American Cancer Society’s latest research project.
Organizers say Cancer Prevention Study-3 has the potential to change the face of cancer for future generations by providing new insight into treatment options.
Men and women who are willing to commit to the long-term study must be between the ages of 30 and 65 and never have been diagnosed with cancer. To enroll in the study, individuals provide a waist measurement, give a small blood sample and complete a comprehensive survey at the enrollment site.
Over the course of the study, participants will be asked to fill out follow-up surveys every few years. The study will enroll a diverse population of 300,000 people across the United States, with the study having enrolled 100,000 to date.
While cancer survivors themselves cannot enroll in the prevention study, many study participants choose to enroll on behalf of a cancer survivor to honor their fight.
“This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for Central Indiana residents to participate in lifesaving cancer research,” says Linda Wilgus, executive director of Northwest Radiology Network and volunteer chair for the Indianapolis community-wide CPS-3 enrollment. “This study has the potential to be a game-changer for the face of cancer as we know it today, identifying new and emerging cancer risks, but only if we are able to enroll a diverse group of committed individuals to study.”
Bart Peterson, senior vice president of corporate affairs and communications at Eli Lilly and Co., said study offers hope for increasing cancer survival rates.
“Lilly is proud to partner on such a critical project,” he said. “Collaboration such as this fuels scientific innovation. Meaningful data will be generated that will guide our thinking as we create tomorrow’s breakthroughs in cancer care.”
Enrollment opportunities will be available the first week in October at locations listed below. Appointments can be made by going to www.cps3indy.com or by calling 1-888-604-5888. The following locations will serve as enrollment sites, open to the locations’ employees, constituents and to the general public:
• Roche Diagnostics: Oct. 4 – 5, 9115 Hague Road, Indianapolis, IN 46250 and 10300 Kincaid Drive, Fishers, IN 46038
• Eli Lilly and Co.: Oct. 6, Riverside Park, 2420 E. Riverside Dr., Indianapolis, IN 46208
• Franciscan St. Francis Health: Oct. 7 – 8, 8111 S. Emerson Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46237
• St. Vincent Cancer Care: Oct. 6 – 8, 8301 N. Harcourt Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260
• Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield: Oct. 7, 220 Virginia Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204
• Indiana University Health: Oct. 4 – 5, West Hospital – 1111 N. Ronald Reagan Parkway, Avon, IN 46123; Oct. 6 – 7 Indiana University Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center – 535 Barnhill Dr., Indianapolis, IN 46202
• East 91st Street Christian Church: Oct. 7 – 8, 6049 E. 91st St., Indianapolis, IN 46250